Taken from a pamphlet written by Robert Christie Stewart, aged 29, on the occasion of the last public opening of the garden in May, 1955
The area of approximately seven and a half acres, which is now known as the Japanese Garden, was originally a large expanse of waste, swampy ground, through which there flowed a burn. The burn was supplied by a good, natural spring of water, and in 1906 an embankment was made, and the burn and swamp were transformed into the pond that exists today. Around this water there was still a considerable extent of waste land and the natural slopes of this ground together with the fact that it was already well sheltered from the north by belts of trees was soon appreciated by Miss Christie as an ideal spot for a typical Japanese Garden. The whole garden as it is today, was gradually built up round this pond, while rare and suitably chosen trees and shrubs were brought from various parts of the world to supplement the indigenous specimens.
Several of the old beech trees on the West end of the area were cut to give that view of the Ochils which, although perhaps not typically Japanese, adds to the rare beauty of the place.